An independent school is South East London has a role available for a Caretaker with an immediate start. This is a great role with a brilliant work/life balance and an opportunity to work in a beautiful and stunning setting. The Caretaker will be responsible for providing a high level of general upkeep and daily cleaning of the communal areas of a senior boys’ boarding house and the tidying and maintenance of its garden and grounds.
- Cleaning and hoovering all corridors, landings, link area and laundry room
- Cleaning all kitchens within the house
- Replenishing bread and milk and other items to keep kitchens stocked
- Tidying boarding house grounds
- Removal of rubbish from communal areas
- Carrying out general repairs and minor maintenance jobs, liaising with Maintenance Department as necessary
- Putting dustbins out for collection
- Ordering and fetching household stores and cleaning materials
- Cleaning lift
- Mowing lawn and trimming hedges in season
- Gardening as required
- Stripping and polishing link floor
- Washing walls and painting as necessary
- Shampoo-ing carpets
- Defrosting and cleaning fridges
- Assisting in the set-up of House functions
- Preparing the House for lettings (putting up beds, move and reinstate furniture etc), particularly during school holidays
- Standing in for colleague in neighbouring boarding house in his/her absence
- Complying with the requirements of Health and Safety, school policies and other relevant legislation
- Acting as Fire Warden for buildings under remit, completing periodic checks and recording them as appropriate. Ensuring that clear passage is maintained on fire escape routes.
- Assisting the Housemaster and/or his wife with the organisation of House social events.
- Liaise with the Housekeeper/Manager.
- Any other duties that may reasonably be requested.
- Have previous experience of working in a similar capacity, preferably in an educational environment
- Have a good standard of education, ideally to GSCE level or above.
- Could possess any practical qualifications e.g. gardening, maintenance, decorating
- Show a proven ability to perform a practical, hands-on role
- Are able to perform minor maintenance tasks
- Are efficient and adaptable and willing to use initiative when necessary
- Are capable of working independently and able to anticipate problems that may arise in the boarding house
- Practical and willing to take on new tasks
- Are reliable and punctual
- Work in a methodical and organised manner, with an eye for detail
- Possess good interpersonal skills, empathetic, calm under pressure, as well as good communication skills
- Are sympathetic to the cultural diversity of the boarding house
Hours: 40 hours per week, working 07.30-16.00 and an additional 3 hours on alternate Saturdays during term time
Salary: £11.309 per hour, which equates to £23,691 GPA
Responsible Consultant: Diana (email@example.com) & Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org)