Job Description for ‘Live In’ CHEF for Private Estate in Kent
Position /Job Title: Full Time Private Chef in Kent
A delightful private family require a full time live in chef at their ‘weekend’ home (Friday – Monday). The family are also often in residence over school holidays.
The house is traditionally run with vast private gardens including an outdoor swimming pool and walled vegetable gardens. Weekend occupancy ranges from just the 2 principles to whole family gatherings (up to 12 persons).
Existing staff consist of a Housekeeper (working Thursday – Monday) and Gardeners / Maintenance staff.
The post is a ‘live in’ post and it is essential that you live in the house for the proper performance of your duties which include, but are not limited to:-
- Preparation of fresh, locally sourced, organic meals, cooked from scratch whilst maintaining a high standard of food hygiene. Responsibilities include traditional weekly Sunday roasts, home baking (breads and cakes), outdoor BBQs / picnics and the occasional VIP dinner party.
- Mediterranean & British cuisine using seasonal ingredients cooked and presented to the highest standards. The lady of the house is vegetarian and will require the chef to submit weekly menus for her approval.
- General household and grocery shopping – food should be fresh and where possible, locally sourced and organic predominantly from local farm shops.
- Stock and organise the kitchen / Pantry, managing waste & recycling
- Management of petty cash & expenses, submitting expenses weekly.
- Caretaking, security and maintenance; Responsible for the security of the building, changing light bulbs, arranging for any maintenance and repairs to be done with external contractors and maintenance staff.
- Chauffeur duties; locally driving members of the family or friends when required. Cleaning and valet of cars and estate vehicles.
- Management of the kitchen vegetable garden , working alongside gardeners.
- Normal days are Thursday to Monday inclusive. You will need to have a flexible approach to your working hours, with periods of intense activity and long hours, followed by quieter periods. Predominantly your hours of work will normally be an average of 40 hours a week worked five days out of seven, including weekends, with two days off per week normally taken midweek. Saturday and Sunday will be your busiest days, when family in residence.
Skills and Experience:
- Excellent standards of food quality and food presentation, an experienced and confident cook preferably a trained chef
- Passionate about locally sourced and home grown produce. Prior experience in home growing fruit & vegetables desirable.
- Positive, Can do attitude. Friendly and respectful towards family and guests
- Excellent interpersonal skills, Professional with exceptional manners
- Previous experience in catering for a private household and providing family meals as well as formal lunches and dinner parties
- Very high standards of cleanliness and food hygiene
- Household management experience gained from working in large private household.
- Attention to detail
- Dedicated, loyal and discreet, able to provide a high service whilst keeping a low profile when the family are in residence
- Previous Butler experience, knowledge of etiquette of table and drinks and knowledge of care of fine wines and beverages
- Chauffer skills including care and valet of cars
- Valid driving licence
- Well presented with extremely high personal standards
- Flexible and prepared to help out on a multitude of tasks
- Holiday/sickness cover when necessary
- Must be comfortable with animals
- Ability to work well with colleagues and peers alike
- Candidates must be looking for a long term live-in appointment
Staff accommodation is located on the lower ground alongside the kitchen. The accommodation is furnished but the client is happy for the occupier to use their own furnishings if preferred. Accommodation consists of:
- Large living room
- Large double bedroom
- Kitchen – This is the service kitchen to the house, but will also be used by family members during chef days off and for the chef’s personal food preparation.
- Laundry area
28 days’ holiday in each holiday year inclusive of bank and public holidays.
Due to the volumes of applications we are receiving at present, sadly, we can only guarantee a response to successful applicants. We will always endeavour to respond to every applicant where possible.