COOK / HOUSEKEEPER
Scope and Purpose
To be the full time Cook for the house and manage the running of the kitchen. Reporting to the House Manager and principal
- To source and procure all ingredients for meals and build a good rapport with local suppliers.
- To use fresh fruit and vegetables from the kitchen garden and to liaise with the gardeners about availability and quantity of fruit and vegetables required.
- To maintain the stocks of staple ingredients in the pantry
- To prepare and serve breakfast, lunch and supper/dinner according for the Principals, their family and guests.
- To ensure the highest standards of food hygiene are observed in the storage, preparation and service of food.
- To agree menus in advance with Principal, especially when they are entertaining.
- To ensure wine chilled/opened to breath and decanted where appropriate when guests entertained
- To prepare sufficient food for any temporary live-in staff (e.g. butlers) to have after the Dining Room has finished service.
- To manage the rotas and shifts of the relief cook, and any part-time or casual staff to help at busy periods, either in the kitchen, washing up or serving in the dining room.
- To work with the freelance butler when he is engaged for weekends and holidays.
- To ensure food waste and recycling is managed in accordance with the Head Gardener’s on site and council requirements for collected rubbish.
- To keep accurate records of all purchases and invoices. To pass to admin invoices for payment on a monthly basis.
- To work with other members of the household and garden staff, sometimes under pressure.
- To maintain good relations with colleagues at all times, including temporary and part-time staff, contractors, suppliers, neighbours and visitors.
- To have a flexible, hands-on, multi-task approach
- To act in your employer’s best interests at all times
- To deputise for the Housekeeper / House Manager (tbc) in his/her absence
- Security, keyholder, plus general ‘eyes and ears’ every day.
Kitchen Care and Maintenance
- To be responsible for the cleanliness of the kitchen at all times.
- To ensure the fridges are regularly cleaned and maintained
- To ensure the kitchen equipment is kept clean and in good order.
- To co-ordinate with the house team the weekly and fortnightly cleaning of the oven and extract.
- To organise quarterly professional cleaning of the ovens
- To organise the servicing of any other kitchen equipment as required
To help in the day to day running of the property, particularly in the absence of the House Manager. Tasks may be varied and may include, for example :
- Meeting to taking guests to station in the House car
- Booking local taxi for guests
- Accepting parcels and deliveries
- Helping in the house to cover staff shortages or absence
- Managing staff and organising rotas/tasks
- Assisting with access for outside contractors
Accommodation: Own flat or cottage separate to property (small pets allowed)
Salary: £40K/ £45K
Consultant: Kari Kerslake Vigor
Job number: 101032