We are working alongside a school that is regularly described as welcoming, inclusive, warm, supportive, vibrant and passionate. They are an independent day school for boys aged 7-18 and girls aged 16-18. Founded in 1829 it is home to almost 1,500 pupils, including approximately 450 boys in the junior school, located in one of the most attractive and peaceful parts of London. There are over 200 staff in the two common rooms and 130 non-teaching staff.
They are looking to recruit a Groundsperson to join their friendly team ASAP.
- Reporting to the Head Groundsperson The Groundsperson is responsible for undertaking tasks to assist with the maintenance of the general condition and availability of the school’s sports facilities, whether at both the schools sites. You will work as part of an overall team of 6 grounds staff, and will report to the Head Groundsperson or his deputy.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Under the direction of the Head Groundsperson, preparing and maintaining the sports facilities, including artificial surfaces, at the main school site and the local sports grounds, to recognised national standards and to the satisfaction of all users
• Providing grounds staff support to matches/fixtures when required
• Implementing weekly, monthly and annual agreed maintenance programmes for all facilities, including the Old Boys’ sports pitches
• Liaising with appropriate staff on the availability of sports facilities for lessons and matches, and advising on the fitness of pitches
• Working with various different types of machinery and equipment to prepare and maintain football, rugby, cricket and hockey pitches, as well as artificial surfaces
• Undertaking general maintenance of equipment as directed
• Assisting with light tree pruning, hedge cutting and maintenance of paths, including leaf collection and spraying
• Maintaining grounds and sports related buildings and facilities
• Attending meetings and events, as directed • Undertaking any other reasonable duties as directed by the Head Groundsperson.
This is an ideal opportunity for an able and enthusiastic person to contribute to and provide strong support to the school’s grounds team.
You will have:
• Previous experience as a groundsperson or similar
• A full understanding of field markings
• Experience of mechanical repairs and the ability to mend machinery and make small repairs
• Knowledge and experience of working with synthetic sports pitches/surfaces
• Ability to work well as part of a team
• A flexible and enthusiastic approach to work
• Ability to work without supervision and prioritise workload according to fixture lists and weather conditions
• Relevant qualification in turf management (NVQ or similar)
• A chainsaw certificate (desirable)
• A full, clean driving licence (desirable)
A full job description can be sent upon request
Hours: 40 hours per week, normal working hours based around the core hours of 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, although some flexibility is required to accommodate seasonal variations (Some evening and every third Saturday, work required during term-time )
Salary: £26,585 per annum
• 25 days’ annual holiday plus statutory English public holidays
• Contributory pension scheme
• Free lunch in the Dining Hall during term-time
• Discounted membership of the Sports Club
Responsible Consultant: Kelly B (KellyB@greycoatlumelys.co.uk)