Live In Head Gardener/ Estate Manager, Somerset
A lovely returning client of Greycoat Lumleys is looking for an experienced Head Gardener/ Estate Manager to replace their long standing employee who is leaving to return to New Zealand.
This is a fantastic role looking after the clients weekend residence, (currently in Covid it is their main residence).
The property lies in 70 acres of parkland, including formal gardens (1.5 acres), lawns (5 acres), kitchen garden, 2 ponds and a small lake and woodlands(15 acres). There is some tree work and chopping wood which can be very physical.
Successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Working with the Owners to manage the maintenance and improvements of the gardens.
- General garden, lawn and hard landscaping maintenance.
- Glasshouse and Polytunnel management.
- Herbaceous Borders.
- Some seasonal bedding displays.
- Pruning and spraying of shrubs, roses and climbers
- Routine garden machinery maintenance, and upkeep of outbuildings, tool sheds etc
- Seasonal woodland management and chainsaw work.
- Liaising with outside contractors and normal security responsibilities.
- Overseeing household systems, including boilers, bio-mass boiler, plant rooms, security and pest control
- Working with and supervising 1 full-time live-in assistant gardener
- Swimming Pool maintenance
- Basic admin duties for the estate and liaising with the owners office
- Security of the estate (this is shared with the live-in housekeeper & assistant gardener
- Care of the family dog 2 days mid week and when the other live-in couple are on holiday
They are seeking a motivated, enthusiastic and flexible candidate who has a strong Horticulture background and is hands on and practical, happy to be outside in all weathers and is interested in a long term commitment,
You will be well organised and self-motivated with excellent people skills, must be able to manage other garden staff and outside contractors
Horticulture qualifications required are RHS level 2 or proven equivalent experience with a practical knowledge of plant spraying
It's essential you are comfortable working with heights and in water
Accommodation - A pretty separate 2 bedroom bungalow with a lovely SW facing private garden on the property - Pets welcome
Start Date - April/May 2021
Salary - Negotiable depending on experience
Job ID - 91089 -
Responsible Consultant - Hannah Mckeown - email@example.com