House Matron Job
Greycoat Lumley's client are a Day and Boarding School for boys and girls located in the Central London area of Victoria.
The environment of the school is happy, busy and purposeful. The school is also committed to nurture each pupil’s spiritual, moral, emotional and physical development and wellbeing.
The House Matrons reside in the Boarding Houses. They are line managed by the Under Master and the Deputy Head. The House Matron will work alongside the school Nursing Sister and other House Matrons.
Matrons work closely with the Housemaster, to whom they are functionally responsible, to care for and promote all personalities, talents and interests of pupils in the House. Both a Housemaster and a Matron act as guardians of the potential of all pupils in their House.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- To provide effective support to the Housemaster in the smooth running of a boarding House and to provide similar support to the day House to which they are affiliated
- To help new pupils settle into the House and to be responsible for their well-being
- To liaise with the School Housekeeper over the cleaning of the House
- To follow all medical procedures and protocols
- To meet parents and discuss with them some specific aspects of care, e.g. particular dietary requirements, special needs
Knowledge and Qualifications
- A current 3-day Health and Safety at Work First Aid Certificate;
- Experience in the care of children
- Experience of working without direct supervision
- Basic administrative skills (e.g. record keeping, managing budget allocation, and filing)
- Strong IT skills including online video-conferencing platforms
- Good written and verbal communication skills in response to pupils, parents and staff
- Basic knowledge of health and safety, child protection and fire safety
Essential Person attributes
- Enjoy working with young people
- Encouraging and motivating with a professional approach and a strong ethos in supporting pupils to achieve their potential
- Approachable, empathetic and patient
- Good listening skills and objectivity
- Tactful, diplomatic and discreet
- A sense of humour and cheerful disposition
- Firm but fair and even tempered when dealing with situations
- Sensitive to other people’s needs and respect for their opinions
- Warm, caring and nurturing
- Flexible and adaptable approach
- Previous experience of working within a School
- A childcare/nursing experience or qualification
Hours of Work
The position of House Matron is a residential post and specific hours cannot be laid down to cover all aspects of School life (e.g. pupils’ illness).
Normally, a Matron must expect to be up House each morning and evening (Monday - Friday) and on Saturday mornings and Sunday evenings.
Afternoons are generally free between 2pm and 4.30pm apart from the duty day when the Matron must be on-site all day.
Other off-duty time may be negotiated on an ad hoc basis with the Housemaster.
The medical cover for weekends is provided on a rota basis: one Matron (and one Housemaster) is on duty each weekend. This is planned at the end of the previous term, and the number of weekends in any term is shared equally. In the event of an emergency, the Matron on duty must contact the Duty Housemaster or the pupil’s Housemaster directly.
Consultant: Lesley Jones
Job Number: 87348
Start: September 2020
Due to the high volume of applicants we receive, we can only respond to candidates we take forward to the next stage of the recruitment process - thank you for your interest