Greycoat Lumleys are seeking an experience Housekeeper for their client's private house on a traditional 19thc Estate south of Edinburgh near Peebles. This rural property has a wonderful sense of community and the previous Housekeeper was with the Principal for 12 years. Above all the role of the Housekeeper is to create a comfortable, tidy and well-run private residential environment within the house. Applicants must be flexible, reliable, well presented, and highly organised.
· Duties and Responsibilities:
- · Cleaning and coordination with the part-time cleaner
- · Polishing general housekeeping
- · Assistance with food preparation- (the Principal is the main cook)
- · Laundry including clothing, towels, linens & soft furnishings – mending, sewing (sheets can be sent out)
- · Errands and shopping for supplies
- · Assisting gardeners with the kitchen garden and general gardening
- · Flower arranging and care of house plants.
- · Care of the 2 greyhound dogs – daily walking and, very occasionally, overnight.
- · In coordination with the Caretakers, ensure the security of the house and participate in monitoring the fire alarm system.
- · Remain vigilant for plumbing leaks and other issues with building systems.
- · Meet and greet visitors, workmen, and take any deliveries.
- · Answer telephone, and take messages.
- · Collect the post and respond to emails, as needed.
- · Coordinate activities with the caretakers, cleaners and gardener & grounds keeper, as required, on a daily basis.
- · Organise temporary staff such as a caterers, cleaners, night porter, etc.
- · When guests of the family are staying in the house, the Housekeeper will prepare bedrooms and bathrooms for their arrival and help the guests to settle in.
- · Help with meal service when guests are in residence.
The property is occasionally used commercially for events such as fashion photo shoots and conferences. The Housekeeper's primary role is to protect the house, enforce fire safety procedures and coordinate proper use of the house by visitors and event-staff.
There is a two-bedroom holiday property connected to the main house which the Housekeeper is responsible for preparing then welcoming and supporting staying guests.
The house is the main hub of the Estate's larger community and, as such, the Housekeeper will participate in various activities and duties related to the community such as coordination of Village Hall reservations & use.
Accommodation: Part of the main house – very spacious with 1 bedroom includes a sitting room, bedroom, bathroom, and eat-in kitchen.
Package Includes: £20,000 annual salary + all utility bills, water, firewood, telephone, TV super-fast broadband, laundry facilities, fitness centre membership, and Council Tax are included. Use of the Estate car is also permitted for personal use within the local area. Hours: 40 per week some flexibility is required
Days: Monday to Friday but must be flexible Any extra hours are to be taken as time in lieu
Start Date: June 2021
Responsible Consultant: Lesley Jones
This is a Live In only role.
We will only contact applicants we are taking to the next stage of the process.