A client of ours is looking for a Housemistress to join their boarding house team to start in September 2021. This is a fabulous opportunity to join an independent school set in 45 acres overlooking stunning countryside. Due to a staff member going on maternity leave the school is looking for one House Mistress for girls aged 11-18. The role would work closely with the pastoral team and report directly to the head of boarding.
This role can be a teaching or non-teaching appointment, the client is flexible.
- Looking after the medical and domestic duties within the house
- Dealing with the girls' individual problems and keeping in close contact with parents, the head of boarding, the headmistress and other staff as appropriate/necessary
- Promoting and encouraging the girls to enjoy the co-curricular programme, homework and general life supervision on weekends and after prep in the evenings.
- The Housemistress and her team eat in the dining room with the girls in a supervisory capacity and ensure that girls eat sensibly
- Developing a sense of community and encouraging the girls to make positive suggestions to improve boarding for all and responding to such suggestions
- Overseeing the arrangements for chapel or church attendance for boarders who are in school on a Sunday and accompanying them
- Working with the house team to supervise and direct house tutors, work in partnership with the bursar and take responsibility for the house accounts and the girls' own pocket money
- Checking all weekend, exeat, half-term and end of term travel arrangements
- Keeping the lines of communication open between the house team, parents and other departments within the school as necessary
- Attending meetings as required and be thoroughly conversant with the school policies and procedures particularly those relating to Safeguarding, Anti- Bullying, Fire, Health and Safety
- Have a degree and teaching qualification; BSA boarding certificate (desirable but not essential)
- Teaching expertise; previous pastoral experience with pupils of this age group is highly desirable
- A compassionate and dynamic and have a genuine desire to take on the often challenging role of guiding and supporting girls of this age group
- The ability to balance the running of the boarding house whilst remaining approachable and open to the pupils
- Enthusiasm, adaptability and resilience, drive, energy and stamina
- The ability to reflect, review and refine in order to provide the best possible boarding experience for the pupils
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team within the boarding house, across the wider boarding community and across the school community as a whole
- Sense of humour
- An awareness of the importance of child protection and safeguarding of young people
- The ability to exercise total discretion and uphold confidentiality, when appropriate
For more details, a full job specification can be sent over to applicants
Start: September 2021
Hours: Daily hours are dependent on whether the role is teaching or non-teaching; the Housemistress and Resident Tutor each take 1 day off each week and alternate weekends. A weekend off starts at 18.00 on Friday and ends at 18.00 on Sunday. During the week, the day off starts at 7am until 7am the following morning
Accommodation: Rent free two/three bedroom accommodation is provided, which may be occupied all year round. The accommodation may be furnished if required. Meals are provided in term time.
Other information: The ability to drive a mini bus is desirable but not essential, as training will be given
Responsible Consultant: Kelly B (email@example.com)