One of the country’s most prestigious Independent Boarding and Day Preparatory Schools for Boys is looking for a housekeeping assistant to come and join their team ASAP. They are a flourishing school with around 250 boys from 7 to 13 years old, with all boys boarding in the final two years. They deliver a first class education, sporting provision and a rich variety of music, drama, arts and extracurricular opportunities in a friendly and supportive working environment. The school consists of the main school building classrooms and offices, music block, academic block, kitchens, sports centre and performing arts centre and on site staff accommodation (flats and houses).
The catering department produces breakfast, lunch and supper on all school days for up to 250 children and 150 staff. They also cater for school social events, sports matches and days for up to 800 guests, pupils and staff. The Kitchen Porter works in a team of 5, under the direction and supervision of the Chef Manager. They support the preparation of high quality meals, snacks and refreshments on a daily basis and for all special and annual events.
The benefits of working at this school are numerous and include:
Retainer paid for school holiday periods.
Contributory pension scheme and Employee Assistance Programme
- Wash up and put away utensils and equipment
- Put away stores
- Ensure recycling of food and packaging waste is carried out
- Empty bins
- Clean down areas as required
- Check hand wash soap and blue paper towels are stocked up in dispensers
- Clear away food from and wash down servery
- Assist chefs with vegetable preparation
- To work as efficiently and tidily as possible on all tasks.
- To work as part of a team on a smooth running rota and ensure the Catering Manager is given as much notice as possible of any requests for change or cover. Where staff are granted changes to shifts or require others to cover for them they are expected to make this time up by covering shifts themselves.
- To work closely and collaboratively with other members of the team, covering or assisting with each other’s tasks when necessary or instructed to do so.
- Work to high professional and food hygiene/safety standards. Report to the Head Chef or Catering Manager any concerns in this area.
- Report any concerns over operation or safety of kitchen equipment/machinery
- Ensure all general Health and Safety standards are met.
- Having common sense and a good work ethic are more important than formal education for this role.
- Are willing to undertake health and safety training – you must have the willingness and aptitude to undertake the training and apply the necessary standards at work.
- Are physically fit, agile and capable
- Aim to work to the highest standards
- Have good attention to detail
- Have good people skills and ability to work in a team
- Are flexible and adaptable, reliable and trustworthy
Hours: Part time, Term time only
Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 3.00 pm, 27.5 hours per week
Responsible Consultant: Kelly B