Live In Couple Job
A beautiful estate in North Oxfordshire which is 400 acres and open their gardens regularly to the public and feature in many publications are looking for an experienced Couple to look after the Principals weekend residence.
The house is a large Manor House, 9 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms. Separate outdoor pool, pool house, tennis court etc.
The owners primarily use the house at weekends/bank holidays with occasional other use in summer weeks. They typically arrive Friday and leave Sunday or Monday. Most of the time they are alone however they have 4 adult children. Though there is no set pattern, on average once, and max twice, a month they may have lunch or dinner parties (6-18 people) and maybe 8-10 times a year weekend guests (2-12 at a time).
The household style is informal but done to a high standard. There are dogs and a cat to be looked after, though on your days off care will be done by the gardeners.
The Owners are looking for a couple , one acting as housekeeper, the other as house manager/ handyman/ estate worker depending on skills and experience
As a Housekeeper you will be required to be hands on and have high standard hands of housekeeping. As a weekend residence you would be expected to be on duty at weekends when the owners are in residence including evenings as late as needed for dinner clearing.
- The Housekeeper is responsible for day to day smooth running of the house.
- All normal housekeeping elements, bed turn downs, cleaning, tidying, laundry, fire setting, washing up, shopping, flowers, household admin present.
- You should be confident handling art and antiques.
- Supervising of maintenance jobs when needed.
- Cooking ( to recipes provided) to a good dinner party standard (by at least one of the couple) is desirable as is baking. Assistance with food prep, drinks pouring , food serving and other hospitality related efforts important.
Duties can be adjusted to fit experience but would ideally include:
- Responsible for the management and maintenance of the Estates property, mechanical/electrical/plumbing/media and physical assets (main house, stable block and outbuildings, pool house, swimming pool, tennis court, gates and security cameras and systems) as well as owners London residence.
- Housekeeper assistance as needed (eg heavy items like furniture moving, light bulb replacements if high, log restocking in house)
- Entertaining support of housekeeper - assistance in kitchen and serving at dinner parties and other entertainment events. Potentially cooking duties for some dinner/ lunch parties.
- Cars/driving - valeting owners car, occasional driving (airport/train station etc)
- Pet care duties shared with housekeeper (and other garden staff on your days off)
- Verbier support with housekeeper, including picking guests up at airport by car
- Responsible for lawn,garden/herb area and patios around house.
- Garden/Estate/Arboretum duties if time allows Duties as part of garden team as needed, may include assistance on open days, estate maintenance (machinery, equipment, fencing, irrigation) , vegetable and fruit cultivation , mowing etc.
Travel is required 5-6 times per year:
The owners also have a large chalet in Switzerland (8 bedrooms with a separate 1 bed staff studio on the lower floor) which they use 5-6 times a year for long weekend or week/10 day stays including new year.
They typically have family and other house guests which can mean 4-18 people staying.
- The Couple would travel out a day or two ahead of these visits to prepare the chalet, look after the party during residence ( cleaning/ laundry/ tidying/ shopping/assistance with meal prep/cooking/serving and washing up in the evenings) and stay a day or two later to clean up and close up.
- Time off would be given in lieu for days off missed during these trips. No language skills needed.
The head gardener/ estate manager and three other gardeners live on the estate and help with security and dog care on your days off .
You should be happy to work as part of a team who work outside. The job requires a hard working Couple who are happy to work long hours when hospitality is being given at the house, but there is also quiet times when the owners are not around or no guests.
Accommodation is a 2 bed apartment in the stable block adjacent to the main house. (Well behaved pets are welcome but cant travel to Switzerland)
There is shared use of an estate car for work purposes.
Salary : £55K-£60K gross depending on experience
Start Date: February 2021
Responsible Consultant - Hannah Mckeown
Job ID 90862