Live in Groom / Housekeeper
We have a fantastic role for a helpful and pro-active candidate to join an informal estate in Berkshire. The ideal candidate will have a background with horses and be confident with all horse related responsibilities, alongside basic housekeeping, occasional family cooking and childcare, (to include proxy parenting.)
The ideal candidate must be orgainsed, efficient and manage their own time well. There is also the option of using one of the horses for own pleasure riding/clinics at own expense if desired, within the horses capabilities.
Duties to include but not limited to:
- Sole charge of the family’s yard, horses, chickens, yard cat to ensure health and welfare and fitness of all the animals and the security of tack room contents. Mucking out, preparing the horses beds, chicken coop and keeping a tidy muck heap and yard
- To help where needed with Pony Club, polo lessons/chukkas, Equine Facilitated training workshops
- To encourage the niece’s understanding and experience of riding, stable management, care and exercise of her horse and guinea pigs.
- To prepare and pack the lorry, keep it clean, tidy and well equipped. Licence to drive a 7.5t is nice but not a must.
- To keep the tack clean and tack and feed rooms neat, tidy and well organised
- Liaising with the farrier, vet, and equine remedial therapist, as well as administering medicines to the animals when prescribed and keeping owner informed of any ailments
- Preparing/Assisting horses for therapy, hacks and/or lessons/workshops
- Checking the horses and animals in the evening
- Day to day Paddock and grounds maintenance, outdoor harrowing, arena upkeep and round pen maintenance. (Maintenance contractor comes in once a week at least for the larger work and ground work)
- Housekeeping, laundry and ironing
- Occasional family cooking and assisting with infrequent dinner parties,
- Care of the family animals – 2 dogs (walking and feeding when needed), guinea pigs, chickens, yard cat.
- Driving owner to and from train station, or airport.
- Organising and dealing with any contractors where needed
- House and animal sitting when family are away, including of the 8-year-old when owner traveling alone. (8yo boards 3 nights a week, can board more if needed)
- Some childcare with school pickups/drop offs, meal and bed routine.
- Maintaining cleanliness and functionality of the onsite Airbnb. Liaise with PA regarding bookings, payments, clients and requirements.
- Organising cover for animals during holidays
Start date: As soon as possible
Accommodation: 1 bedroom annex available on site with a small, private patio garden.
Driving: Must be a confident driver, ideally with their own car.
Job reference number: 94027
Responsible consultant: Nicola Forster