Full Time Live In House Manager / Cook Job in Somerset
Our client is seeking an experienced House Manager with a love for food, you will be working within a well-established household and estate that includes an estate manager, garden team and three housekeepers. This role consists of two equally important aspects, the running of the house as in the upkeep of the building, as well as a genuine interest in food, cooking and sourcing good local ingredients.
The ideal candidate for this role needs to be able to manage their own time efficiently, happily adapting to varying workloads and be flexible in their working hours. A happy cheerful disposition when working under pressure is a must!
Household duties include:
- Leading the house team, good communication is key.
- Understanding of and responsibility for Alarm, Heating, Pool, Audio Visual systems; troubleshooting and knowing who to call.
- Regular inspections of plant room, boiler room and appliances. Documenting in house manual.
- Reasonable computer literacy required for household administration and accounts
- Liaising with regular contractors and following up service contracts
- Some driving to and from local train station, occasionally further afield. Looking after small fleet of cars: valeting, MOT, scheduling service and repairs.
- Must like animals - assisting with the care of their dogs including full time care when both Principals are away; dog walking, grooming appointments, registering medication and vet consultation.
Cooking duties include:
- Preparing breakfast, mid-morning tea and balanced healthy meals, assisting principal when cooking and hands-on with the very occasional dinner party.
- Maintain good relationship with local suppliers to ensure high quality of produce, especially meat and fish.
- The house benefits from an unusually large and prolific vegetable garden so you will need to liaise with the vegetable gardener to provide vegetables and herbs for the house. Freezing and distributing excess production including the making of jams and chutneys. We also rear and care for poultry and sheep for home consumption.
Driver with own car is preferable, an estate vehicle is available for local work-related journeys.
Accommodation: A beautiful 3-bedroom lodge with own private garden (Partners and well-behaved pets allowed)
Hours: 5 days per week (Although this is a weekday position, occasionally you will be asked to work weekends.)
Salary: approx. £50.000 gpa depending on experience
Vacancy Number: 99137
Consultant to contact: Jules le Roux