Live out Senior Gardener job, West Sussex
We have a fantastic position for a professional and dedicated Senior Gardener to work alongside two assistant gardeners on a beautiful property in West Sussex. The Senior Gardener will ensure that the garden is developed and maintained to the highest horticultural standards and that its unique character and excellence is preserved. Working alongside the assistant gardeners, you will carry out the day to day upkeep of the public gardens and the private garden of the CEO. The clients are ideally looking for a candidate that has an extensive knowledge of horticulture, preferably someone with an education background and practical experience, to be able to offer the assistant gardeners support with techniques and knowledge.
Duties to include but not limited to:
- To maintain all areas to a high standard of horticulture and presentation.
- Responsible to carry out the day-to-day care and management of plants, lawns, hedges and trees
- Responsible for the general good upkeep of all pathways and drives within your area of responsibility.
- To keep the gardens, thoroughfares and highway footpaths clear and free from litter at all times.
- Planting and providing plant care, including of Box and Yew hedging.
- Plan and schedule to carry out seasonal maintenance to include lawn areas, shrubs, boarders, planters, hedges, trees and weed control.
- Lawn care including mowing, edging, feeding, scarifying, aerating, watering and weeding.
- Planning and ensuring the maintenance of all lawns are provided at high quality sward.
- Maintenance of the vegetable plot cut flower garden, greenhouse, fruit cage and orchard.
- Responsible to ensure care of the ponds and algae control.
- Maintenance of the compositing bins.
- To carry out gritting, salt spreading, snow clearing, as necessary, including footpaths throughout.
- Day to day maintenance and control of the irrigation system to ensure planting is watered correctly, including watering of areas outside the irrigation system as necessary.
- To monitor pests and diseases and controlling them, using chemicals if necessary.
- Ensuring that all garden equipment is correctly maintained and serviced, liaising with the Estate Maintenance department as necessary.
- To ensure all equipment, machinery and buildings under your control are secure, clean and tidy.
You will report to the facilities manager to ensure that all aspects of the garden and surrounding areas are taken care of. Communication is key for this position, you must work well within a team, have a supportive and motivating attitude and enjoy being outdoors.
Start date: As soon as possible
Working week: Monday – Friday
Salary: Depending on experience
Job reference number: 89418
Responsible consultant: Nicola Forster