The quote by Benjamin Franklin: “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail” is very apt,even if we don’t often take it to heart or put it into action.
By creating a Household Planner, you not only provide everyone in the household with an easily accessible and complete one-stop source of information but with a tool that allows everyone’s lives to run more smoothly.
So, how can you use a Household Planner best?
The answer to this will be totally unique for you and the household you work and live in.
Although it might be helpful to include:
- Household members’ schedules - especially helpful if there are children with sports clubs etc. or if members of the family travel a lot.
- Important contact numbers and information - include all emergency contacts, medical and allergy information and details for any suppliers, staff and contractors.
- Important dates - appointments, holidays, events and reminders can be included in this section.
- Household cleaning and maintenance schedules - this can be broken down into daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal checklists and can include any special information on cleaning specific items such as antiques or swimming pools for example.
- Menu plans - include any special or often requested recipes and details of any specific suppliers.
- A household communication section - this is a section where you can communicate with your family or employers and inform everyone of any daily plans, events, expected visitors or contractors due.
- Expenses - if appropriate, all household expenses can also be recorded to provide an ongoing total.
- Events - each event can be recorded in individual sections and removed when completed.
Now, that can seem like a long list especially if you are starting from scratch, however the good news is that creating a Household Planner doesn’t need to be complicated, time consuming or expensive.
Sometimes all that is needed is just a diary kept by the telephone or in the kitchen combined with a standard folder or notebook with all the relevant information in.
Plus, once the initial work is done it is very easy to maintain on a daily basis.