When you become a yacht steward/ess you become a member of a crew whose ultimate goal is to provide a supreme level of service to their guests. It’s hard work and you will constantly be placed outside your comfort zone. In return for all your hard work you will be rewarded with an adventure that will allow you to travel and experience the world, its customs and diversity of people, normally only available to the privileged few.
You will be expected to offer a seamless service that allows your guests to relax and have fun and one thing is for sure, the standards expected of a yacht steward/ess are high, very high indeed.
So what makes a yacht steward/ess a great one?
- Presentation - one of the essential qualities is taking a great deal of pride in how you present yourself. You will be on display, so the small details will matter no matter what time of the day it is.
- Energy and passion - these will be required in equal measures. Hours are long and the work is often manual, so lots of energy is a given. Your passion for a life on board will see you not only excel at the work but deal with the long periods away from family and friends.
- Professionalism - a professional manner will be crucial at all times, even when dealing with the unexpected. You might be faced with strange and demanding requests by guests or even receive complaints. Whatever you are challenged with your professionalism will need to shine through.
- An unflappable nature - life on board will be a great adventure but it certainly will keep you on your toes. When faced with highly pressured situations you need to remain calm and provide a timely and balanced solution.
- Pride - when you have a sense of pride in your work it will shine through. There are of course, tricks of the trade that will make your life easier and your standard of work higher so you need to pride yourself in learning the tricks of the trade.
- Team player and flexible - a guest’s experience will be directly influenced by the crew. Without team work and working towards the common goal of making the guests experience the best, it just isn’t going to work. To be a truly valuable member of the team you will need to be flexible in your role and get your job done, so that your team members can fully trust you.
- Take a look at our current Yacht Jobs here.
- For more information contact Lucy on +44 (0) 20 72339950 or send her an email here.