Assistant Houseparent Job
Founded in 1973 by 3 Cambridge University Graduates this is one of the best-known college university brands in the UK. They are seeking an assistant houseparent to join them ASAP on a 44 hour per week rota.
• Working closely with Directors of Studies and other key pastoral staff in college, to provide the highest possible pastoral care to boarders
• To ensure that the boarding house provides a ‘home from home’ atmosphere to all boarders
• To promote boarders’ health and wellbeing and to act upon concerns about boarders including, but not limited to, concerns regarding sleep patterns, work ethic, unhealthy habits, personal hygiene, medical and mental health concerns, and to support all boarders, offering personal support.
• To contribute to the boarding induction programme fully by providing activities and support for boarders settling into boarding
• To follow all safeguarding policies and requirements
• To contribute to the collection of Boarders’ Voice, collaborating with colleagues to feed boarders’ views into the Boarding Development Plan
• To take particular care of a group of boarders within the house (Huddle), meeting at least weekly with the group and undertaking room visits once weekly with the students in the Houseparent’s Huddle.
• To provide emergency first aid to boarders as required, including accompanying boarders to medical appointments or A&E as required.
• To join boarders for meals as often as is practicable
• To work with boarders’ DOS, attendance officer and the Vice Principal (Pastoral) on issues related to attendance and timekeeping for lessons.
- University Degree or equivalent
- Experience of working with teenagers - preferably from an international background
- Experience of supporting young people
- Experience of residential settings
- Strong Communication Skills
- Flexibility and a willingness to learn
*A full job description is available upon request*
Hours: 44 hours per week on a rota as agreed with the Vice Principal (Boarding), plus overnights on call. One 24 hour period off per week plus one in 3 weekends.
Salary: £21,000 - £24,000 GPA (DOE)
Accommodation: Single studio accommodation
Additional Benefits: Free of rent, utilities and Council Tax. Life assurance, income protection, annual season ticket loans, pension scheme.
Holiday: 40 days per year to be taken the week before, during or after half terms, during Christmas holidays, Easter or during Summer holiday.
NB: due to the nature of boarding, it may not be possible to take bank holidays. It is expected that all HP’s cover one week of summer school outside of their planned leave. Vice Principal (Boarding)
Responsible Consultant: Kelly Bothomley (email@example.com)
Vacancy Number: 114762