Christmas is a magical and special time, but it does require a lot of effort and hard work to make everything run smoothly.
Preparations need to start well before the big day and sometimes it can feel like everything is getting a little out of control.
To help make things a little easier we have put all our housekeeping knowledge together to help you create a house cleaning schedule that allows you not only to stay on top of everything, but ensures you have the maximum time to enjoy the festive period as well.
- Before you start - like with most things preparation is key. Be sure to keep your
cleaning cupboard fully stocked with the supplies you are most likely to need such as those for tackling dirt, grease, smells and spills that can arise over the Christmas season
- Get organised - create a checklist which highlights what you need to achieve. Start with the pre-Christmas activities and break it down into time periods
- Start early - before the main event it really is beneficial to take the time to complete a thorough clean before Christmas. Not only does this ensure that you start the period off with everything spotless but you will feel more in control and maintaining your housekeeping routine will be far easier
- Make a shopping list - make a shopping list of any missing items and keep it up-to-date
- Make a menu plan - to make sure you are organised and that there will be as little wastage as possible
- Plan for each event - for every event take the time to plan ahead, consider the following:
- what cutlery, serving ware, dishes and glassware will I need
- make sure everything is clean and sparkling beforehand
- review how many guests you will have and make sure you have enough of everything, including chairs
- Check any linens are clean and ironed
- Follow these daily tips:
- Vacuum or sweep floors in communal areas and the kitchen
- Empty rubbish and recycling bins
- Check toilet paper stocks
- Give the toilets and hand basins a clean regularly
- Check if fresh towels are needed
- Ensure that food is covered and put away in the fridge before you go to bed to avoid wastage
- Use these handy tips:
- Tackle any spills as soon as they happen
- When you have finished using any special dishes or glassware wash, dry and store them as soon as possible to prevent any breakages
Remember that although the planning can seem daunting, if you are organised it really will make it easier for you and make the transition back to your normal cleaning routine so much easier when Christmas is over.