Housekeeping Duties, Responsibilities & Skills
What are the duties and responsibilities of a housekeeper?
- To ensure a home is kept organised, clean and tidy
- Keep on top of the laundry, ironing and wardrobe management
- Running errands and organising the home
- Driving (do the necessary shopping and school runs etc.)
- Deal with the tradesmen that may come to the house and oversee their work
- Specialist skills, such as care of a couture wardrobe or antiques and other artefacts
- Pet care
What skills do you need to be a good housekeeper?
- The ability to spot what needs doing in a home
- Creating systems if and when needed and/or maintaining them
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Product/fabric/surface knowledge
Does a housekeeper do laundry?
Yes, washing, ironing and handwashing - some more formal households will have a dedicated laundress.
What is included in a basic house cleaning?
- General tidy up
- Daily cleaning of Kitchen, Bathrooms, Loos and public areas
- Hoovering and dusting
- Making beds
How long does it take one person to clean a house?
Depends on the size of the house and the number of bedrooms.
What are housekeeping rules?
- High attention to detail
- Not cutting corners
Is housekeeping a career?
It is indeed for many and there is progression if that is what someone wants i.e becoming a Head Housekeeper and maybe moving onto being a House Manager eventually.
Is being a housekeeper a good job?
It is and the salaries on offer are very competitive in fact, they can be higher than some office jobs!
Why do I want to be a housekeeper?
Excellent career with excellent salaries available. If you enjoy hands on work and seeing the immediate results of your work, then this is for you!
What is a housekeeping job like?
It can be demanding and very busy if working in a busy and active family home.
What are 3 qualities a housekeeper should possess?
- Attention to detail
- Organisational skills
- The ability to learn and adapt in the household they work in
How much should a housekeeper get paid hourly?
Depends on the role and the experience but part timer usually in the range of £11 - £13 net per hour. Full time Housekeepers, depending on the level, can range between £26 - £43K.
How do housekeepers get paid?
Generally via payroll.
What hours does a housekeeper work?
In the country generally 40 hours per week. In London a 40/50 hour week. However, some jobs are not fixed hours and Monday to Friday but can requires shifts and rotas.
Housekeeper vs. Maid vs. Cleaning Lady
What is the difference between a housekeeper and a cleaning lady?
A cleaner is generally there to ensure a home is kept clean and tidy and do the laundry and ironing. Quite often guided by the instructions given. A Housekeeper is expected to be more a self-starter, able to run a home, oversee tradesmen, keep track of household stocks, possibly do inventory, create systems within the house etc.
What's the difference between a maid and a housekeeper?
A Maid usually works under instruction and within a structure and routine i.e Hotel Maids or those in fully staffed households.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an executive housekeeper?
- Spot checks
- Impeccable standards of housekeeping
- Organising the home
- Could include supervising other housekeepers and/or assisting a Head Housekeeper/Manager
What is housekeeping manager duties and responsibilities?
- Running of a home or establishment
- Supervising other housekeeper/cleaners
- Spot check
- Being hands on where needed with housekeeping duties, training, recruiting and more
If you’re looking for a career in housekeeping, take a look at our jobs and apply today.