Duties, Responsibilities & Skills
What are the duties and responsibilities of a personal assistant?
- Supporting all administrative needs and correspondence
- Overseeing household staff and staff schedules
- Extensive travel & diary management and reservations
- Basic book keeping and managing household bills
- Undertaking ad hoc personal errands
- Household purchases / returns and credit card / account reconciliations
- Assisting with event planning
What qualities make a good pa?
Being proactive and using your initiative. Being structured, methodical and possessing a good attention to detail. Also having significant levels of tact and discretion and remaining unflappable and calm under pressure.
How do personal assistants stay organised?
- By using To Do lists
- Implementing systems and procedures to streamline the workload
- Using calendars and diaries to keep all activities and appointments on track
What other jobs can a PA do?
- Personal shopping for the principal(s),
- Online shopping
Personal Assistant Career
Is a PA a good career?
It can be a fantastic career with opportunities to travel, great benefits and an interesting variety of clients.
How do I become a PA?
Gaining work experience, connecting with contacts in the industry, and having a qualification in business and/or administration.
Do you need a degree to be a PA?
No, but training does help, such as completing a Pitman course, or any certification in Business Administration. Courses on Word, Excel and PowerPoint etc are also recommended. Good verbal and written skills are vital, as is being computer literate.
How do I succeed as a PA?
You must have an ability to work with others and be a good listener, as well as remain flexible and able to think on your feet when required.
Personal Assistant Salary
How much do you pay a PA?
£35K for a junior, up to £70K with extensive experience.
Personal Assistant vs. Executive Assistant
What is the difference between a PA and an Executive Assistant (EA)?
A PA tends to work for a private household or an ultra-high-net-worth individual, whereas an EA generally works within a corporate environment.
If you’re looking to become a private personal assistant, take a look at our jobs and apply today.