Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
(formerly known as CRB / Criminal Records Bureau)
Please note that candidates placed through Greycoat Lumleys will be required to have a valid DBS Disclosure dated within 12 months.
The cost to registered candidates & non-registered candidates is £55.
What is a DBS check & who should have one:
The Disclosure and Barring Service, an executive agency of the Home Office, provides wider access to criminal record information through its checking service.
Candidates applying for certain types of job may be asked to apply for a DBS check. These are generally jobs that mean you:
- Will be working regularly with children
- Will be working in certain activities with adults considered vulnerable at that particular time
- Will be working in healthcare
- Have applied to be a foster carer, adoptive parent or childminder
- Will be working in certain other professions (details of all these professions are provided on the link below)
The minimum age at which you can be asked to apply for a DBS check is 16 years old.
There are two types of DBS check:
Standard DBS check for certain specified jobs, licences and entry into certain professions
Enhanced DBS check for those carrying out certain activities or working in regulated activity with children or adults; applicants for gaming and lottery licences; and judicial appointments
What will I find on a DBS Check?
The Standard DBS check will contain details of all spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings from the Police National Computer (PNC)
The Enhanced DBS check will include any information from the PNC and may also search:
- information held by local police forces
- lists of people barred from working with children and adults which are kept by the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA)
How long does a DBS check last?
There is no official length of time that a DBS check is valid for. Any information revealed on the DBS certificate is what the police, or the ISA if applicable, held at the time the certificate was printed.
How can I get a DBS check?
Greycoat Lumleys is a registered body for the DBS so we have a direct link with the DBS and can arrange for a check to be carried out for you.
The cost for a DBS check will be £55 for registered and non-registered Candidates
If you have any questions please call +44 (0) 20 7233 9950 or email Collette Negre
What is needed?
Please note, we can only process online applications. For this, we will need your Title, First Name, Middle Names, Last Name, Date of Birth, Email address and a mobile or landline number.
The Online Application Process
- Once we have your details, we will load you up onto our system.
- You will then get an email with a link to complete the form online.
- Once you have completed and submitted your application, it comes back to Greycoat Lumleys for verification.
- We still need to see your documents (see the list below for valid documents).
- Once we have verified your application, you will then get a second email for your payment of £59.00
- Once you receive your DBS certificate please inform your employer or Greycoat Lumleys consultant as they will need to see your copy
Group 1 – Primary Trusted Identity Credentials
- Current valid Passport – UK or EEA (or Non-EEA in combination with a Biometric Residence Permit or current Work Permit/Visa)
- Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
- Current Driving Licence (UK) (Full or provisional) Isle of Man /Channel Islands;
- Photo card only (a photo card is only valid if the individual presents it with the associated counterpart licence; except Jersey)
- Birth Certificate (UK & Channel Islands) - issued within 12 months of date of birth;
- Full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces
Group 2a – Trusted Government / State Issued Documents
- Current valid Passport (UK, EEA or Non-EEA)
- Current UK Driving licence (Photo card or old style paper version)
- Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
- Birth Certificate (UK & Channel Islands) - issued within 12 months of date of birth
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) – issued after 12 months of date of birth
- Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK)
- Adoption Certificate (UK)
- HM Forces ID Card (UK)
- Fire Arms Licence (UK)
Group 2b – Financial / Social History Documents
- Mortgage Statement (UK)**
- Bank/Building Society Statement (UK)*
- Credit Card Statement (UK)*
- Financial Statement ** - e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK)
- P45/P60 Statement **(UK & Channel Islands)
- Council Tax Statement (UK & Channel Islands) **
- Work Permit/Visa (UK) (UK Residence Permit) **
- Utility Bill (UK)* – Not Mobile Telephone
- Benefit Statement* - e.g. Child Allowance, Pension A document from Central / Local Government / Government Agency / Local Authority giving entitlement (UK & Channel Islands)*- e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service , Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security
- EU National ID Card
- Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK)
If a document in the List of Valid Identity Documents is:
- denoted with * - it should be less than three months old
- denoted with ** - it should be issued within the past 12 months
- not denoted – it can be more than 12 months old.
We recommend that all documents are sent to us by Special Delivery and we will return these documents by the same method.
How long will it take for my check to be processed and how can I check its progress?
A DBS check will normally take from 2 weeks, and up to 2 months days to be returned if done online. You will receive a copy of the check to the home address used on the form. The DBS Certificate should remain in your possession and you will be required to show it to your new employer.
What if I do not hear hear back within this time? We suggest you contact the DBS on 0870 9090 822 and follow up with them. Have your application number to hand as reference.
What do I do if I have received a confirmation email that the process is complete, but not my DBS certificate? You will not receive your certificate for about a week after confirmation. If it takes longer than this, we suggest you call the DBS help number above with your application/serial number as reference.
The DBS Update Service
Individuals can now join the DBS Update Service putting them in greater control of their information; allowing them to reuse their DBS certificates when applying for similar jobs. This will reduce bureaucracy and save them time and money.
If an individual subscribes to the DBS Update Service their employer can go online with their consent, and carry out a free, instant check to find out if the information released on the DBS certificate is current and up-to-date.
If you need to register for the PVG Scheme in Scotland, we can process this for you. For more information, visit our Hiring a Nanny in Scotland page. Click here.
Government Organisations DBS link